The Nigerian Association of Petroleum Explorationists, University/Polytechnic Assistance Program announces its 2017 Grants-in-Aid Program.The Program includes special grants named in recognition of benevolent leaders/corporate organizations. These individuals/organizations have made substantial contributions to the UAP teaching, and research programs in NigerianUniversities and Polytechnics.
The purpose of the program is to foster research in the geosciences by providing support to undergraduate and graduate students in the earth sciences whose research has application to the search for and development of oil, gas, energy-mineral resources, hydrogeology and related environmental geology issues.
ELIGIBILITY AND GRANT VALUE
Award recipients must be financially up-to-date NAPE Members and enrolled in anHND, Bachelor, Masters or PhD programme. They must be of proven character who maintain the ethics and standard of the profession while, above all, having a constant high grade in his chosen academic career (i.e. minimum of 2.50 CGPA and 60% aggregate for B.Sc. and M.Sc. respectively). However, credit will be given for higher grade.
USE OF GRANTS
Grants are to be applied to expenses directly related to the student’s thesis work, such as fieldwork, laboratory analyses, and books as detailed on page 3. The educational institution attended by the applicant must ensure the grant’s appropriate use, and that the grants are not turned over to the Institution.
BASIS FOR AWARDING GRANTS:
Grants would be based on merit, proven character and, in part, on the financial needs of the applicant. Applicants will be selected based on qualification, as indicated by past academic performance, originality and imagination of the proposed project, support by the department in which the work is being done, and significance of the project to petroleum, energy-minerals and related environmental geology.
For prudence, these grants will only be awarded once to any one applicant on M.Sc. degree and twice for B.Sc. and PhD Programmes. Repeatability will be based on excellent academic record.
INTENT, RECOMMENDED GUIDELINES & DISBURSEMENT
The overall intent of this program is to assist students by subsidizing selected projects. The following guideline is recommended for most projects.
a. 30% of the amount should be used to cover fieldwork expenses, including:
(i) Transportation, accommodation and feeding for student and the supervisor
(ii) Fieldwork and sampling equipment and materials.
b. 60% of the amount should be spent on laboratory analyses including:
(i) Sample preparation
(ii) Photographic materials and production
(iii) Chemicals and laboratory wares, and
(iv) Cost of analyses within or/and outside the Institution
c. 10% of the amount should be spent on Report/Thesis production.
Disbursement may vary with project and value of grant. For most projects, 100% of the grant will be paid in advance while in certain cases it will be based on a formula determined by the committee in consultation with the relevant institutions.
TO APPLY: (FOR ONLY FINANCIALLY UP-TO-DATE NAPE MEMBERS)
1) CLICK HERE TO VIEW LIST OF DONORS and CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD APPLICATION FORM. Complete this application in full. Please type or print neatly, since legibility affects your evaluation.
Please note that only one application is required per student.
2) Attach an official copy of your most recent academic transcripts. (If your school does not issue transcripts, attach a signed and department stamped statement from your Professor or Head of department commenting on your academic credentials).
3) Obtain department endorsements and department stamps on the form. If your department does not have a stamp, attach a statement on department letterhead, signed by the Head of department, identifying you as a currently enrolled student of that school. Application without endorsements would be rejected.
NOTE: You will be eligible for consideration of a grant only if all of the requested information accompanies your application.
4) Deadline: Only applications received on or before 31st October 2017 will be considered.
5) Award Presentation: At the 2017 NAPE INT’L CONFERENCE