Address by NAPE President, Mr. Nosa OmorodionFNAPE to UK/Europe Members on July 22, 2016.
Venue: NNPC office, London
I am delighted to be here today and to take part in this meeting, convinced as I am that the great need of our age is the revival of values that assist to meet the growing energy needs of the world. I bring you felicitations from Nigeria. That many of you have travelled long distances within the UK and across Europe to be here serves to remind us all just how much you esteem our great association. I thank you and appreciate your kindness and contributions to our association, our profession and nation.
In todays’ beleaguered global E&P economy, energy matters. As geoscientists we bring energy and development to the world. We must remain true geoscientists as advocated by Bill Edman (Chevron MD Nigeria from 1992-1996) who in his address to a NAPE gathering in 1994 urged geoscientists to see E&P beyond just mere Exploration and Production but also as Environment & Politics; Economics & Profitability. Permit me to also add Energy Proficiency as veritable needs for todays’ Enhancement of our Portfolio if we are to remain standing by the time the light at the end of the tunnel of this beleaguered oil pricing regime finally appears.
Let me pause to specially express my profound appreciation and gratitude to Gideon Giwa & Dr. Abimbola Durogbitan and the team that worked tirelessly to make this meeting happen. I also will like to acknowledge the efforts of my VP , Dr. Bako and the NNPC London office for the hospitality and support towards the hosting of this meeting.
I do have an unyielding belief that the time has come for us to have a platform within Europe to gather to share ideas, knowledge and new technology that will be beneficial to NAPE and our industry back home. It is in this regard that I hope this meeting will be the kick starter to laying the grounds for concrete action towards establishing a Chapter of NAPE in the United Kingdom. A chapter that serves and meets the need of members here in the UK and Europe.
Our Association looks to you to bring this vision to a reality. I have no doubts in your abilities, acumen and passion to the commitment of this noble task. Ladies and gentlemen, prepare yourselves to be challenged, excited and inspired.
Our relations with other sister professional associations continues to be cordial, but we seek to deepen our collaboration, especially in initiatives where we meet under joint auspices in the pursuit of knowledge ,cutting edge technology, information sharing and scholarship. The adverse global oil and gas climate is a known phenomenon. Back home in Nigeria, inflation rate hit an all time high of 16.5% yesterday. It is a difficult time in our nation’s history and oil workers are not insulated from these austere realities.
In my last communication to membership, I highlighted some of the initiatives we have adopted as palliatives to members who may have been affected by the down turn in our nation’s economy. Please permit me to reiterate them here once again:
1. Career Centre that will help with job postings.
2. A one-off ‘’Graduated dues’’ payment scheme for members. Details will be in my next communication. This will however have to pass through the rigors of the AGM.
3. Online Training Platform to help retool the professional careers of members will kick-off in Q3
4. The commencement of the much anticipated Healthcare scheme. This is set to go live by mid-August with Zenith Medicare as NAPE’s Healthcare provider
We have made steady progress in other spheres as well:
• In June we initiated a forum for subtle advocacy where CEOs/senior industry operatives and top government personnel rub minds and thoughts on ideas around our beleaguered industry and economy. Our guest was the COO/GED Upstream NNPC. The goal is to institutionalize this into a quarterly senior industry evening reception.
• A special business publication that will be the repository go-to reference book, covering sections from Exploration opportunities and resource placement, Funding and Investment Climate, Divestment and Acquisitions, Hydrocarbon accounting, gas supply and monetization is at an advanced stage. The target launch date remains October 2016.
• A new NAPE website is now in place, the membership cleanup with emphasis on junior and student members as well as steps to improve the IT infrastructure of the secretariat are ongoing.
• We will be introducing a Young People Distinguished Service Award and The Club 25 Membership Recognition Pin in 2016.
The NAPE Foundation is currently being revamped to serve the purposes it was originally conceived for. We have reintroduced the minimum annual N2000 foundation dues for members and have concluded plans to reinvigorate the NAPE Grants-in-Aid support for students in tertiary institutions. Please do not forget NAPE’s AICE is slated for November 13-17 2016, at The Eko Hotel & Suites convention center, Victoria Island, Lagos. I look forward to personally receiving you in Lagos. I dare say we have accomplished quite a bit this year, but we need your membership commitments to accomplish even more in the years ahead. NAPE needs talented and dedicated members like you to build an association of our dreams.
I want to say once again, it is a pleasure to see many of you here and very many thanks for your warm welcome.
Nosa Omorodion, FNAPE